the blog Synergy

Friday, December 09, 2005

Intrusive Mobile and Internet Technologies: an etiquette for socially responsible use

From The Bumble Bee, I find this posting on Intrusive Mobile and Internet Technologies: an etiquette for socially responsible use.

The diagram below attempts to summarize the 4 parties and 6 different rights
they hold:




I like it. This uses a common sense approach and lays the etiquette out in an easily understandable format. Now, we need to get the senders and receivers to buy into this so the disinterested parties (who currently are probably the most abused) can get some relief.

I say the disinterested parties are the most abused because that is what I have seen in my experience. When I have been engaged in a conversation, and the other party is interrupted, they are generally most apologetic. In the same circumstance, I as a rule, do not allow interruptions.

But the disinterested parties, of which I tend to be one commuting via train regularly, ah there is a different story. Many times, the phone rings (1 - we heard it) and then the conversation starts (2 - we are now involved, like it or not). It is amazing what folks will talk about in public. When they get on a phone, they must think this bubble envelops them and they disappear to the rest of the world. Now there is an idea!

A cell phone with an enveloping bubble that encloses the phone person when they are on it in a sound proof chamber.

Hmmm, how could we do that?

I need to go to the drawing board....

Back later...

PS - If you have any ideas, drop me a line or feel free to comment!