the blog Synergy

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Walk into Fear

From Patti Digh at 37Days comes this:
Don’t we die a little everyday if we don’t walk toward that fear that holds up back, reduces us, makes us less than what we really are?

Stand up and walk toward your fear. Expand into it, embrace it, own it and name it, make it your pet, take it on walks, feed it, groom it, train it to heel, learn to love its mongrel face. That’s the only way you’ll stop it from yipping all day and night, and nipping at your toes. It’s the only way you can take your daily walks in the world without being dragged along by a wild, untamed fear.

Read the full posting here.

What is your fear?

Are you walking towards it?

 

Technorati Tags : ,

Powered By Qumana

2 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Rosa Say said…

    I've been thinking about this Steve, and honestly, I'm counting my blessings, because I can't think of any fear I need to walk into on a personal basis.

    I suppose there are a whole bunch of global fears I could have in the grander scheme of things, and I did read Patti's post with understanding of the point she was making: I agree that fear and regret can be a debilitating force.

    However I so prefer to dwell in the bright sunlight of optimism, and the knowledge that we can all create our future instead of being a victim of it. I suppose that what I fear is that we won't -- guess I've come to the same thing Patti is cautioning us against...

    We can always reach inside and know our aloha is there, waiting to serve us and be celebrated with us: then fear and regret have no seats at the table.
    Rosa

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Rosa, I too am counting my blessings. I was left numb and speechless with Patti's posting. The power of the story and of the helplessness with trying to prevent something like that of recurring is the fear I ended up with. Not to live with, but to acknowledge its presence.

    As much as the world has flattened (for example, the internet enabling connections and promise for many), the world is still a dangerous place and this story brought this home quickly.

    But coming around again to fear requires its acknowledgement. Fear requires facing. FDR's immortal line: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" comes to mind. I agree with you that we are capable of creating our own destiny.

    I hope that as we wake each morning, we draw the courage and inspiration (aloha) from inside to walk fearlessly into our day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home