the blog Synergy

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Unleash the Power of We to Achieve Your Goals

As the first half of 2006 draws to a close, I find myself reviewing my goals for the year:
  • Publish my first book by 12/31/2006
  • Write 500 or more blog posts on Make It Great! by 12/31/2006
  • Read 25 or more books by 12/31/2006
  • Complete 10 Toastmasters speeches by 12/1/2006
Let's see where I am:
  • I published my first book as of yesterday, and you can get a copy here
  • I've written 675 posts as of this writing
  • I've read 12 books, so I'm on pace to completing this goal
  • I've got 8 speeches done in Toastmasters
I share this with you to show you that sharing your goals with others can help you achieve them. You can unleash the Power of We by sharing your goals with your closest friends, with total strangers, or both, if you're strong enough to take the risk and share your goals. Having someone else check in with you can help you achieve more than you ever thought possible. The team here at the blog Synergy have been incredibly supportive of all of my efforts.

Think about this: Who can you surround yourself with that can help you achieve GREAT things in the rest of 2006? I wrote an article about an "accountability circle" in March, and it's helped me get to where I am now. Review the article and see if it can help you understand the importance of sharing your goals with others.

If you're not where you want to be yet, don't despair: It's only July 1st. You've still got 6 months to achieve your goals. If you haven't told anyone yet what you're aiming at, make time this week to do so.

If you haven't set any goals for yourself yet, it's time to start now. If you need help setting goals, I use the SMARTER goal setting model and it's been very successful for me, or you can read any of the other blogs about goals here.

So what are you waiting for? Unleash the Power of We and achieve more than you ever thought possible!

Phil Gerbyshak

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Rosa Say said…

    Phil, this is such a great topic for us to sink our teeth into right now; your timing with this post is perfect.

    As you've shared here, I too find that when I am brave enough to share my goals with others my commitment to those goals - and to my own self-discipline in achieving them - is magnified and fortified.

    In addition, there are always bonuses: those we confide in will often contribute their ideas to the effort, and our energies get a turbo boost of newly creative determination.

    Yes, yes, yes: I am so ready for this Power of We this month!
    Thank you for the inspiration :-)

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Trevor Gay said…

    Fabulous that you share your goals with us Phil

    When I was younger and more arrogant it felt right and proper to keep my goals to myself for fear of failure. That was the conventional way in management. Then of course only I knew if I had failed or succeeded. But as I got older it made more sense to share my objectives as widely as possible so that everyone understood what I was doing and more importantly why I was doing it. It is a healthy discipline to share these things because you often find that people will offer their help. If they don’t know what you are doing they cannot offer help.

    Phil - You are an inspiration to us all on Blog synergy with your passion and for being action based. I have ordered your new book and I look forward to reading it.

    Keep it simple my friend and make it a great day.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said…

    Rosa and Trevor - This month should be a great month for all of us at Synergy, readers and contributors alike, as we up the ante and really "Make It Great!" in July and set the table for the rest of the year and quite possibly, our lives. Will we stay in hiding, and keep our dreams to ourself, or will we dream big dreams that we share with others, to get the help we sorely need? Time will tell!

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Greg said…

    Phil thanks for living the "Power of We" and showing the way so we can all see what it is like.

    I am one of those poeple that I would describe as a "goal lurker".

    Until I met you and all the great people you are associated with I did not have a group I trusted to share my goals with.

    You have set a great example and I wish you much success with your new book.

    Keep on keeping on!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Maria Palma said…

    Phil,

    Congratulations on being on track with your goals! Yes, it's very important to surround yourself with people who are positive, believe in you, and support your goals. I have a few people like that in my life...it is both enriching and motivating!

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said…

    Thank you Greg and Maria for your wonderful comments, and for adding to the Power of We! I hope you will return and help us continue the conversation the rest of the month and goals and the Power of We!

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Troy Worman said…

    Phil! Great post. I love the idea of Accountability Circles. Sharing your goals with others has great power.

    Zig Ziglar said, "You can get anything you want, if you help enough other people get what they want."

    Of course, the nub here is that the other people have to know what you want in order to help you get it!

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    In my archives, I have a post on Circle Recognition, which gets at the same point of defining where your circle influence lies and within which you can control.

    http://p4tgce.blogspot.com/2006/02/circle-recognition.html

    I guess that is why we are together as part of team Synergy!

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said…

    Troy - you are absolutely right. We need to share our goals with others in order to unleash the Power of We. Otherwise, it's still just little ol' me power (lower case p).

    Steve - great share and expansion. You should write an article here about your experiences with your circles. That's a brilliant post.

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger jason said…

    Achieve your goal

    It is not only convenient to get anything from a math degree to a psychology degree online, but it can also be less costly than traditional college or universities, too. Often, since online schools do not have a physical campus, they do not need to charge as much for attendance. Things like housing, campus building upkeep and cafeteria facilities are not typically offered, and so the cost of attendance is just tuition and books. In addition, most online education programs offer some form of financial aid. And the cost of online degrees earned from an accredited institution can often be offset with federal financial aid as well………….

    way to achieve goals
    uncenonni

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger jason said…

    Online instructional program


    Online degrees sound great, and many universities are building the technology to offer distance learning programs. Yet, some universities still require you to use other mediums to obtain your online degrees besides your computer. Some programs require you to use video or telephone conferencing that are less effective. The best online degrees are earned from universities that are fully taught online. Being fully taught via the internet also means that you should look at online degree programs that are taught by qualified professors. Many online programs only hire local teachers………….



    way to achieve goals
    y

     

Post a Comment

<< Home