the blog Synergy

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Simply Make it Great with the Story of your life

Here we are at the first day of April. For some reason I find myself oddly reflective this morning. I am not sure why, but I have thought of some interesting things. I think it may be that I have been browsing the blogoshere and hit on a common theme. I was looking through Make it Great by Phil Gerbyshak, Simplicity is the Key by Trevor Gay, and Talking Story by Rosa Say. Each of the blogs are very different and unique. However, I seem to have found a common theme in these blogs today. Phil talks about moving beyond good and making it great. He provides a number of articles and outstanding links to help people move beyond good to great. Trevor breaks things down to the simplest forms and always has a great message and Rosa has a wonderful and engaging style of storytelling. All three have a theme based on becoming better managers and people by capitalizing on values, making human connections, and the power of giving.

We are now starting the fourth month of this year. As I look back I wonder how much I accomplished during the past three months. Did I take advantage of opportunities to "Make it Great?" If so, How? Did I work work from a values base that included fairness and ethics? Did I maintain integrity in my decision making? Have I given back in a worthwhile and genuine way? Have I moved past petty differences and looked for the good in people and situations?

To some things I can say yes. To others, I must admit, I need to continue to grow. In the process I have learned an important lesson about leadership. Leadership is not a position or a title. Leadership is being genuine and taking consistent action. It is taking action that others want to follow and emulate. Leadership is keeping it simple, Making it Great, and doing this with the story of your life.