the blog Synergy

Monday, April 10, 2006

Maybe it's just 'boys with toys'



The current debate we are having in Blog Synergy about why there are not more female Bloggers is truly fascinating.

As a male it is not for me to be too outspoken about this so I proceed with caution! :-)

One thing that has crossed my mind several times is that women, in my experience, are better at the ‘up front communication face to face’ where body language is crucial. Communication through the written word on Blogs is clearly not as inter-active physically. That is not to say emotions cannot come through in our writings on Blogs. Indeed many people associated with Blog Synergy are gifted writers who express emotion superbly. I just wonder if ‘the physical’ has something to do with this.

Another thought is about that old saying - 'boys with toys.' Blogs are still ‘toys’ for many.


In my circle of friends and relatives there are many who do not even know what I am talking about when I mention Blogs. Those who are familiar with Blogs tend to be males and in the tradition of ‘boys with toys’ it occurs to me be that us boys learn through mistakes and experiments, only to see the wiser more cautious and pragmatic females capitalise on the learning and use Blogs more creatively in years to come. We all know us ‘boys’ love to experiment and push the boundaries – something to do with the spirit of adventure and the need to go out and hunt as no doubt the scholarly historians among us might say.

Finally I wonder whether females comment on Blogs that are in the world of creativity and the arts rather then the world of management, leadership and organisational development. My feeling is those latter subjects do not generally attract as much female interest as the more creative Blogs.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger SayitBetterKare said…

    As a woman and fromer WSJ & NBC reporter I've been following blogs for a year (and now have one) and think that more women will flock to blogging, vlogging, videoloops, etc. when we arend topics and the "look and feel" of this new media ... and the related technology user-friendly, as demonstrated to us by a friend... as happened for me.

    Perhaps the blogher conference will inspire others to join in... thank you for the respectful, thoughtful comments on this. I am now a speaker and publish a Say it Better ezine... and am asking people in both settings to consider using the new tools to better reach and serve their kind of people... when women hear about ideas i na face-to-face setting, then can visit a break-out session, with others, they love it, we are finding

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Felix Gerena said…

    Sayit, BlogHer is great platform and should be a fuze for female bloggers.

    I think Trevor is right. Some of the best blogs I have seen by women have a very creative sense. I think they are completely different from what a mkan could ever design.

    Personnally I really enjoy when I discover one fo these gems.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Lora Banks Ley said…

    As a person new to blogging, I am finding while it is easy to publish, it has not been easy for me to find a blogging community on my topics. I just spent about three hours trying to find the latest blog posts on leadership, specifically business leadership. The number of posts that I had to sort through to find this one was eye rolling. I understand Google is beta testing a blog only search engine. Perhaps this will help.

    Then I spent more than a little bit of time trying to figure out if your blog was open to other professionals in the leadership field like me or if you were trying to fan the flames of a discussion within your own team.

    You might increase the livliness of your discussion threads if you added a little more description to your main page. Just a thought.

    All the best,


    Lora

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Trevor Gay said…

    Thank you Sayit and Lora - the idea is to hear from female Bloggers about what we can do to increase interest among the women of the world about our subject areas. It is wonderful that you have responded - I hope you will tell your friends. I fully endorse your comments about making the technology user friendly. Simplicity is my mission and in my experience I am turned off completely when the technology is just plain 'too hard'

    Thank you Felix - the most creative Blogs I visit are usually by female authors.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kathleen Fasanella said…

    You know, I've been lamenting the same sort of thing. I mean, there's lots of female bloggers, just not as many technical ones with a few notable exceptions. For example, I don't know any other females who are blogging about manufacturing much less industrial engineering (e.g. Lean) and that's a favorite topic of mine.

    For awhile, I felt closed out by the all-male Lean bloggers when I'd been putting out consistently good stuff (for the factory floor) but some of the men have finally started linking to me so I guess it just takes time for word to get out.

    I also think that it matters that I write about apparel manufacturing specifically. Apparel manufacturing isn't seen as "hard" or "real" manufacturing in the manufacturing community. It's no secret that we're considered to be the dumb bunnies of industry. I think fewer people were taking me seriously because I do apparel. No matter, I didn't get into manufacturing as a measure of my IQ. I just like factories and sewing factories is all I know.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Kathleen, welcome, your comments are very helpful.

    I am disappointed that you have not found others willing to accept your manufacturing thoughts just because they were apparel based.

    I have had manufacturing exposure (personal computers, jewelry, steel mill)and I think an assembly line is an assembly line. Yes, the details at each work station may be different but the logistical challenge overall is the same.

    We have tended to focus more on enabling this conversation than getting into the next level of manufacturing detail. If we can at least enable this type of conversation, let you and other women feel welcome here, we will be successful.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Lora, welcome. I recall my early days blogging when all I used was a blogroll and I would follow a link from one reading to another. Over time, I found a few key folks to stay with and set them up in an RSS reader. I then set up a Technorati search on a few keywords. A couple of these I still keep to use for exploring purposes. Use caution of course in use of some key words. You may (or may not) be surprised at where words appear.

    Your feedback is good, we do intend to incorporate many of the ideas we pick up as we go forward. Please come back and let us know if we have become more interesting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home