the blog Synergy

Monday, April 10, 2006

Maybe it's just 'boys with toys'



The current debate we are having in Blog Synergy about why there are not more female Bloggers is truly fascinating.

As a male it is not for me to be too outspoken about this so I proceed with caution! :-)

One thing that has crossed my mind several times is that women, in my experience, are better at the ‘up front communication face to face’ where body language is crucial. Communication through the written word on Blogs is clearly not as inter-active physically. That is not to say emotions cannot come through in our writings on Blogs. Indeed many people associated with Blog Synergy are gifted writers who express emotion superbly. I just wonder if ‘the physical’ has something to do with this.

Another thought is about that old saying - 'boys with toys.' Blogs are still ‘toys’ for many.


In my circle of friends and relatives there are many who do not even know what I am talking about when I mention Blogs. Those who are familiar with Blogs tend to be males and in the tradition of ‘boys with toys’ it occurs to me be that us boys learn through mistakes and experiments, only to see the wiser more cautious and pragmatic females capitalise on the learning and use Blogs more creatively in years to come. We all know us ‘boys’ love to experiment and push the boundaries – something to do with the spirit of adventure and the need to go out and hunt as no doubt the scholarly historians among us might say.

Finally I wonder whether females comment on Blogs that are in the world of creativity and the arts rather then the world of management, leadership and organisational development. My feeling is those latter subjects do not generally attract as much female interest as the more creative Blogs.