the blog Synergy

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Booming my way along

Linda Tischler of the Fast Company blog captured my attention with her post yesterday on Jeff Taylor’s new brainchild, www.eons.com:

“Taylor, you may remember, founded the super-successful job site Monster.com. Now he's back with a new idea: eons.com, a sort of MySpace for the over 50 crowd.

Taylor, who at 45 is too young to qualify for his own site, says he was attracted to this market because of its size and financial heft. “Every day, 10,000 people turn 50,” he says. There are lots of these folks: some 77 million of them. And they have fat wallets. In 2001, they controlled 67% of the country's wealth, or $28 trillion.

But they've been underserved by Madison Avenue, which prefers its target audience young and foxy, even if impecunious.”

Linda’s first commenter, a 40-something, wasn’t that impressed, but I think it’s pretty brilliant.

There are so many new business possibilities when it comes to serving us Boomers (yep, I’m one, and perfectly good with that!) We are a generation of new wants, and very little tolerance in understanding why they can’t be fulfilled in our brave new global marketplace.

All of this is coming to mind for me with Phil’s earlier posting this month about goals, and how extraordinary new and different goal-setting has become in this day and age we live in.

I’ll be watching the goings-on at www.eons.com for sure. Why think of the possibilities all by my lonesome when I have a whole slew of other boomers giving me some great cues?

And no matter what age you are, I would think it’s a great idea to be watching Jeff Taylor.

My earlier commentary on Phil’s post was this one:
Goals, Renegotiated Agreements, and Ho‘omau

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home