the blog Synergy

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Can you feel it?

“It” is synergy happening.

I can understand why if perhaps not, especially if you are a lurking kind of reader who has come to love blog reading, but you’ve not yet taken that step to chip out of your protective shell of privacy. And that’s okay, I’ll still tell you about it.

This is the “it” that’s happening for those of us who many will call the “early adopters” who blogged with full transparency in the past two or even three years now, laying it all out there with a “what you see is what you get — and I’ll make it as good as I possibly can, forcing myself to be better in making it all true” kind of attitude.

In starting to blog, we might have wanted to

  • -- sell books (me),
  • -- take advantage of the new blogging platforms to design our own websites (me too),
  • -- write and write some more hoping for a positive feedback loop as we sharpen our skills and force ourselves to edit better (yup, me again),
  • -- learn all of the way-smart strategies for marketing a business on the web (me and anyone who wants to work for me),
  • -- or just have some way cool conversations with someone awake in another part of the world while the rest of our family, night people that they are, were still asleep (definitely my family).

Or something else entirely.

The cool thing was that a lot of us discovered all those “me” reasons, were really “we” reasons, and we had a whole lot of company —good company, aloha company. The Power of We was smiling back at us like a patient elder on a mountaintop who says, “I’ve been waiting for you.”

So the “it” became this: Keeping it all virtual is just not good enough anymore. From getting okay with our vulnerability, and tossing out any concerns for privacy, we’ve gone way over to the other extreme of wanting our virtual relationships to get personal.

Now you may be thinking, “Hellooo Rosa, where have you been? Haven’t you heard of anyone finding the love of their life online? Didn’t you see Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan lay it all out there in You’ve Got Mail?”

That’s not the kind of connecting I’m talking about.



For one thing, I’m strictly talking about business, workplace, marketing, and professional or personal-legacy-building kind of blogs with some vaguely related self-development and author blogs thrown in for good measure. I don’t read any other kind, so I can’t speak to others. It’s relationship in these arenas which I’ve mentioned (anyone have a better collective word for them?) with which we’re seeking personal connectivity.

It’s about jumping into this pool of ever-increasing capacity; intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and a new physical. We still commiserate with each other about being busy, yet at the very same time we are discovering these capacities we had no idea we even had.

It’s not about romantic love and marriage, however that word “love” gets used pretty freely between us. There seems to be no better word when what we are seeking to do, is more fully explore the commonality we have as human beings who learn. We are thrilling to discover we are capable of living in an abundance of learning, respect and mutual admiration we never before had imagined was possible. Some of us have already lived a good half century or more (yup, me again) and we feel like everything just got brand new.

The synergy connection is that “it” could not have happened if we’d tried it alone. From interviews to meetups to forums, things are happening. Giving has new meaning.

When blog posts get quiet, you cannot assume authors are suffering from writer’s block and have lost their inspiration: They are living their lives, and they aren’t doing it alone. These days, they are living them in brand new partnerships, and they probably don’t have the time to sit still and write them out for you to read about. They are emailing and skyping, trading personal cell phone numbers and swapping travel schedules. They are reinventing community in a way that totally ignores geography and time differences.

If you want to feel it, really feel it, you have to get brave and get involved.

Tomorrow morning, (well, morning for me in Hawai‘i :-) we of Team Synergy have scheduled a conference call to capture the overflow of synergy that is starting to pool all around us. We keep reaching the point where our fingers cannot fly fast enough over our keyboards to be satisfied with the virtual nature of what we have crafted in thought between us, and as a result of what so many of you have shared with us. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the Memorial Day holiday than this, bringing a kind of new livingness into possibility.

Knowing it has been coming, I’ve felt like a highly expectant child just old enough to understand what Christmas morning is like; my anticipation is near unbearably sweet. In one way or another, we’ll let you know how it goes when you next read what bubbles forth here.

I’m quite sure you will begin to feel “it” too.

Be brave.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Yes, I can. And I love the feeling! Don't know how much I'll be able to sleep tonight with such expectations (better than sugar plums) dancing in my head.

    Actually had a full Sunday; ran almost 10 miles with my running club, then dressed to get Carolyn to the Baccalaureate Mass at church, then we went down to my sister-in-laws to help celebrate the graduation of their son with a good size family gathering at their house.

    So sleep will come, followed by synergy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home