the blog Synergy

Friday, January 06, 2006

Vanity fair and the blogger condition

I talk about my blogger condition as others can talk about their gay condition. Yes, I see in my environment I am different. I am a blogger, I am distinct. None of my close friends blogs and in my business environment blogging is seen as "an american fashion trend".

Last week I had a business appointment with an important local Recruiters Firm associate. They had heard about me and were interested in collaborating on Leadership issues, particularly workshops. In our conversation, I mentioned the fact that I blog. He looked surprised by the word. " a Blog?". "What´s that?" If he was surprised I was scared.

He started telling me he works with some important pseudo-gurus, and that in few years he could even become a guru himself. I inmediately thought: but man if you don´t even know what a blog is how will you become a guru in today´s economy? You will be an expert on history, but not in XXI century´s business. That´s impossible.

After this first contact he also told me he wanted to see what the quality of my consulting work is like. I showed him some of my results and he was enthusiastic. He hadn´t seen such an innovative work for a long time. "I´ve been searching for something new, but there´s no way with our current providers". "This is clearly innovative. It´s clear you have done a big effort to achieve these results" (He was right on this). But all his enthusiasm was like a pastiche. He inmediately turned out talking about the gurus and the prestige and that I was very young for some of his clients.

The impression I got is that many business relationships in my environment still depend on a series of factors I would describe as Vanity Fair. It is this vanity fair that has a priority over work and quality. And it is this vanity fair that concocts a business world of closed relationships, absolutely away from our blogging world of opportunities.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Yes, it is unfortunate that the Vanity Fair people still exist and continues to survive (somehow). But the hope I have, and I think that may be shared by others, is that the Vanity Fairs will not last. And in the meantime, we would not want to work for them, they clearly do not fully appreciate what we can do for them.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Felix Gerena said…

    You are right. I don´t appreciate people who don´t value work, Steve. It´s a principle for me.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger Trevor Gay said…

    Stick to your principles Felix

    My late beloved Dad taught me three guiding principles – always retain your integrity; always work hard; always do your homework.

    I know from our work together you have all three of these Felix.

    Imitation of Gurus is good when people start out - they can be good role models. Imitation is ok – copying is not. Vanity is alive and well in business – there is far too much copying and not enough originality.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Felix Gerena said…

    Thanks, Trevor.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home