the blog Synergy

Monday, September 05, 2005

Synergy in Learning

This month, I must share with you that I am a bit obsessed with All Things Learning. It’s spilling over into everything, and this blog is no exception. How could it be with synergy as such a strongly compelling heartbeat?


I honestly find the possibility of greater learning to be the most exciting and enticing concept inherent in the notion of Team Synergy. It is true that everyone on a team is expected to fully participate, and when that happens anything petty (e.g. concerns with fair contributions, the willingness to accept ownership unless everyone else does) is wonderfully absent.

However in my experience, there is also an underlying, yet ever-present requirement in every team for humility. At first glance this seems to be a rule of civilized engagement, but consider this: when you understand it as humility, your graciousness serves as the key for your own greater learning. What team synergy does for you is evolve your learning so that it is dynamic and not stagnant, for in a good team, you have a safe environment in which to offer your ideas in raw form so they may be built to their true potential. You offer them up for the creation of that Third Alternative, in effect saying, “I don’t know everything I want to know about this.”

Consider these wonderful quotes:

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
- Alvin Toffler

It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows.
- Epictetus (c.55 - c.135)

We on Team Synergy have been having conversations about our focus and our vision, for we all share a very strong desire to create something extraordinarily special in this emerging blog Synergy community for you. The learning gifts I am receiving from Troy, Steve, Felix and Trevor already are profound to me, and I can only imagine that we have seen the tip of the iceberg.


Community is that greater ice mass which keeps the tip of an iceberg above the water’s surface. I hope you will be tempted to join into conversations here. The best is yet to come.

Photo credit.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Trevor Gay said…

    Wonderful comments Rosa.

    I believe anyone who feels they have stopped learning may as well curl up and die. I learn new things everyday. Through every experience and every communication I learn. My Grandmother used to say she was still learning right up to her death at 89 years of age.

    You are so right - All effective teams have team members who all help each other and humility is always present. There are no 'prima donnas' and no 'elitism' - every team member accepts that they have to do their own fair share of the work toward team goals.

    It is great to be part of the Synergy Team - I am learning much from you all.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said…

    What an insightful post Rosa. Truly, we must keep learning in order to keep growing, often in spite of ourselves. As the rules change, we can adapt and grow, or not adapt and fail. Outstanding quotes as well. Thank you for sharing.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    Rosa, wonderful thought provoking post... I like what you say about humility. One needs to be open to the learning for it to be experienced.

    In my coaching efforts with the running club, I tell them I can provide advice on what to do and how to do it, but they and only they can do it.

    I also let them know that I will provide encouragement for their efforts. The spirit of the group is infectious when each encourages the other. Nothing like a little positive reinforcement to take you a long way!

    And then learning is fun, and when there is fun involved, one does not want it to end, so learning continues and continues....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home