the blog Synergy

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Different kinds of will

Sometimes I´ve been persuaded there are people who have more will than others. Especially when it comes to leading projects, you realize some people can reach a wider range of problems, they solve them and still they find something that pushes them to keep working.

I was reading one of Nietzsche´s aphorisms yesterday and I found that the philosopher shared this view of things. These are his words:

I consider men for the amount of energy they contain, for the fullness of their will, and not for their weakness and their fading will.

I measure the power of a will for it´s way of facing adversity, for the torture and pain it can resist


I don´t know if will can be measured but i do think some people behave as if they had more will than others.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger LuisVelasco said…

    Interesting observation Felix,

    All of us are in a Journey, and that energy, that will, fluctuates depending in our life experiences, mistakes, triumphs, pain, happiness etc. I love the idea of resistance to pain and adversity as a measurement of will. Great posting.

    Luis

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Rosa Say said…

    Welcome Luis, and Felix I agree that this is a great posting in the question you put forth. Will may be thought of as one of those intangibles we cannot measure in and of itself, however the outcomes it engenders certainly are very measureable.

    I think of will as one of those very human characteristics which help us get stronger, and willingness always begets the questioning of best result: You have the will to do what, and for what greater good?

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said…

    yes, will can be measured by what it enables but I am not sure you can measure will in and of itself. In athletic accomplishments, particularly in running, will is the clear driver between the champion and the 'also ran".

    Lance Armstrong is a current example of the power of will. I believe him (that he has not drugged). His background and his Tour successes speaks to me of being driven by will power.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home